How to Cook Dried Chickpeas
- 1 Large bowl
- 1 Large pot
- 1 Strainer
- 1 lb Chickpeas, dried
- 10 cups Water
- ½ tsp Salt
- Rinse chickpeas thoroughly. Discard any stones or debris. Add chickpeas to a large bowl and cover with 2 inches of water and discard any chickpeas that float.
- Add salt and soak at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Place chickpeas in a large pot and cover with cold water. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for 30-60 minutes or until desired tenderness periodically add warm water during the cooking process to keep the chickpeas covered. NOTE: During this step, you could add chickpeas to a soup, stew, curry, or chili.
- Rinse chickpeas thoroughly. Discard any stones or debris.
- Place chickpeas in a large pot, and cover with 3 cups of water per 1 cup of beans. Use 10 cups for a 1-pound bag.
- Heat to boiling and boil for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove beans from heat, cover, and let stand for 4 hours.
- Drain the chickpeas and discard the water.
2 thoughts on “How to Cook Dried Chickpeas”
It would be great if you could include a paragraph about how to cook the chickpeas in the Instant Pot as it is much quicker and it is a popular appliance.
I will be adding this soon. I will let you know once it’s added. Thank you