Low Sodium Creamy Mac and CheeseAdd to Recipe Box Go to Recipe Box
- 7 oz Macaroni (about 2 cups dry)
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp AP Flour
- 1/2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1 oz Mozzarella (Based on light or low sodium mozzarella)
- 1 oz Cream cheese (Based on light or low sodium cream cheese)
- 1/8 tsp Garlic powder
- Ground black pepper (to taste)
- Cook the macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir the flour, dry mustard, garlic powder, and black pepper into the melted butter.
- Cook over low heat, stirring until the mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in milk, about a quarter cup at a time, making sure that the milk is incorporated after each addition.
- Once you have added all the milk, boil for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir the nutritional yeast, mozzarella, and cream cheese into the sauce.
- Heat the mixture long enough for the cheese to melt. Remove from heat.
- Stir the cooked macaroni into the sauce and serve immediately.