Healthy Creamy Garlic & Spinach Alfredo Pasta
- 1 lb Penne
- 2 tbsp Butter, unsalted (olive oil works here)
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 cup Spinach
- 2 tbsp AP Flour
- 1 cup Chicken or Vegetable stock, no salt added
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Low sodium parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, fresh ground
- Start a large pot of water on high heat. Once boiling, reduce to a medium-high heat and add penne to pot. Stir occasionally so pasta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- While the pasta is boiling you're going to add the butter (or olive oil) and garlic in a large pan. Over medium heat, sweat out the garlic for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Now we are going to make a compound roux. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes. Don't forget to stir often so you don't burn it.
- Add the stock and milk, whisk until roux is incorporated, add spinach and cover. Bring mixture to a light boil, reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occationally, until your mixture thickens up nicely and your spinach is slightly wilted into the sauce.
- Add fresh ground black pepper and parmesan cheese, stir until the cheese is melted and incorporated nicely.
- Toss hot pasta with sauce and serve!