Lentil Sloppy Joe’s
- 1.5 cups Green lentils canned, no salt added
- 1 whole Yellow onion diced
- 3 whole Garlic cloves minced
- 0.5 whole Red bell pepper diced
- 1 can Tomato sauce, no added salt
- 3 tbsp Coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Chili powder
- 0.5 tbsp Cumin
- 0.5 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 0.5 tsp Pepper
- 6 whole Burger buns
- While your lentils are cooking, sauté all of your ingredients in a medium-large-sized sauté pan. Once the onions are cooked and your lentils are done, stir in your lentils until the sauce mixture is well combined
- Serve immediately on a bun or lettuce wrap. Alternatively, you can store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Two Cooking Options
- Option one: Cook the lentils in a rice cooker or Instant Pot and then add them to a sauté pan with all of the other ingredients. Option two: Cook the lentils in a sauté pan and add in all of your other ingredients simultaneously. Both options work great!
- This is a great BBQ recipe. Try it as a slider or on a lettuce wrap!
- We adapted this recipe to be used with canned lentils to decrease cooking time.
- Original recipe found in The IGAN Cookbook.
- If you are strictly vegan, be sure to use a vegan Worcestershire sauce.