Low Sodium Chicken Stock Recipe
- 8 lb Chicken bones
- 6 qt Water
- 8 oz White Onion
- 4 oz Carrot
- 4 oz Celery, chopped
Herbs & Spices
- 3 Parsley stems
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Cloves
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp Thyme, fresh
- 1/2 tsp Black Peppercorn
- Oignon Brûlé
- Cut bones into 3-4 inch pieces and rinse throughly under cold water. Rough chop your mirepoix. Gather all your your herbs and spices.
- Place bones into stockpot and add water to cover by 2 inches. Bring water to a boil, reduce to a simmer. Remove any scum that surfaces.
- Add mirepoix, herbs, and spices to the stockpot. If you want you can use a sachet, but this isn't necessary if you have a good china cap or strainer.
- Simmer for 3-4 hours. Continue to skim the scum off the top as it cooks. Add water if water goes below bones.
- Line a china cap with cheese cloth. Strain your new low sodium stock through the china cap and cheese cloth.
- As soon as possible, cool the stock down in a cold water bath or using cooling paddle