Easy Low Sodium Marinara Sauce
- 28 oz San Marzano Tomatoes
- 1/2 White Onion
- 6 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Basil Sprig
- 1/4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
- Red Pepper Flakes
- In a shallow saucepot over medium heat, heat the oil. When the oil becomes hot, add the onions and red pepper flakes. Cook onions 3-4 minutes (or until they begin to become translucent), occasionally stirring.
Click for a 3 Minute Timer
- Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the crushed tomatoes to the pot. Fill up the can with water and slosh it around to get the remaining tomato juices. Add water to pot.
- Add oregano and salt. Simmer on medium-low for 30-45 minutes (or until desired thickness), occasionally stirring.
30 Minute Timer
- Towards the end of the simmering process, add your fresh basil sprig. Submerge the sprig of basil so it's fully inside the sauce releasing its wonderful flavors. Let the basil hang out for about 10 minutes.
10 Minute Timer
- Optional Step: I like to use an immersion blender to make my sauce a bit smoother at the end.