Tweaking recipes to lower potassium and phosphorus?

Home Forums Diet & Nutrition Tweaking recipes to lower potassium and phosphorus?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Jenna JM
    Subscriber

I have recipes that I would love to lower both potassium and phosphorus *and sodium* by either less of a specific ingredient OR eliminating/substituting ingredients. I am most concerned with legumes and beans *it has been very difficult for me to give these up* and asian foods which traditionally come with a high sodium level. Is this possible to do or must I consider giving up these recipes completely?

CKD level 3A, STRICT vegan for over 40 years, 69 y/o, female and active

I don’t think you need to give these recipes up. I’m sure they can be converted to more of a kidney-friendly recipe. Find the ingredients with the highest sodium, potassium, and phosphorus and look for “alternatives” or “substitutes” on Google. Then, you can just play around making the recipe. Hope this helps!

You can leach potassium from beans and legumes by soaking overnight and then removing the water. Rinsing canned products and choosing no salt added products also helps. Coconut aminos are a great low sodium option for high sodium soy sauce products as well. You do not need to give up completely.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Join Our Donator Membership

Let Us Be Your Culinary & Nutrition Guide on Your Kidney Journey.

Cukebook.org is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
RECIPES Recipes
Guides
Cukebook.org's Logo
Sodium Carbohydrates Potassium Phosphorus Protein Serving Size Amount per serving Servings per container Calories Nutrition Facts Search Analyzer
LATEST Latest